A Connecticut bill of sale form is a record of a transaction between a buyer and a seller of personal property. In Connecticut, there are specific templates that residents must use in transfers involving motor vehicles, watercraft, and firearms. In the case of boats and vehicles, the completed form will be used to prove new ownership when registering with the DMV. The sale of firearms must be recorded with the government-issued bill of sale as part of the screening process for applicants. All other transactions can be carried out using the generic bill of sale, which can be drafted purely to keep a record of the transfer.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – This form acts as a receipt for the purchase of a motor vehicle or vessel. It also reports the transfer of ownership between parties.
Firearm Bill of Sale – A sales receipt for a firearm that can be used by both licensed dealers and private sellers.
Boat Bill of Sale – A proof of purchase document recording a boat sale between a private seller and a buyer.
Generic Bill of Sale – A type of receipt that is used for the private sale of articles such as furniture, clothes, power tools, antiques, and other valuables.
- DMV Office Locations – The DMV portal can be used by motorists to make an appointment to register their newly acquired vehicles.
- DMV Status Check – An online check for outstanding issues with the DMV (used prior to registration).
- Valid Proof of Identification Documents – Information on what ID the DMV will accept during registration.
- Application for Registration and Title – The necessary application for both title and registration.
- Valid Proof of Ownership Documents – Information on what proof of ownership forms the DMV will accept during registration.
- Proof of Insurance Information – The vehicle insurance requirements prior to registration.
- Registration Fee Schedule – List of fees one can expect when registering their vehicle for the first time.
- Application to Purchase Firearm – This document is required when purchasing a handgun or revolver.
- Pistol Permit/Eligibility Certificate Application – An application submitted to acquire a temporary permit to carry a pistol.
- Connecticut State Police Troops and Districts – Locations where the above application can be submitted for review.
- Special Licensing & Firearms Unit – Locations where a permanent permit can be acquired.
- DMV Appointments – Where boat owners can make an appointment to register their vessel.
- Application for Vessel Registration and Certificate of Number or Decal (Form B-148) – The document used to register a newly acquired boat.
- Registration and Titling Fee Schedule – Cost of titling and registration for vessels.