Updated on July 4th, 2023
An Ohio firearm bill of sale is a post-sale document used for proving ownership of one (1) or more purchased firearms. The form includes the price paid for each firearm, its serial number, manufacturer, and caliber, as well as the contact information and signatures of both parties. State law does not require non-licensed sellers to perform a background check, or the buyer to have a permit to purchase.
The only requirement for private transactions is that the buyer must present an Ohio driver’s license or photo identification to verify their residency and age. The minimum age to purchase firearms is eighteen (18) for long guns and twenty-one (21) for handguns. Furthermore, Ohio law (§ 2923.13) dictates that no person who is a fugitive from justice, a convicted felon, a drug addict, a chronic alcoholic, or who has been diagnosed as mentally incompetent can legally possess a firearm.
- Firearm laws – §§ 2923.11 – 2923.25
- Background check required? No.
- Permit required to purchase? No.
Concealed Carry Laws
Carrying a concealed handgun is only permitted with a valid concealed carry license (commonly known as a “CCW” for “Carrying a Concealed Weapon”). An Ohio CCW allows residents to carry a concealed handgun in other states with which Ohio has reciprocity agreements.
Individuals who are at least twenty-one (21) years old can apply for an Ohio CCW by completing the following steps:
- Complete an eight (8) hour concealed carry course with a certified instructor.
- Complete the Concealed Carry License Application.
- Go to the local county sheriff’s office and submit the following paperwork (some offices require that an appointment be made):
- Two (2) copies of the certificate of completion for passing the concealed carry course
- Completed Concealed Carry License Application
- Ohio driver’s license or state ID
- One (1) passport-sized color photo of the applicant
- Pay the $67 application fee (§ 2923.125(B)(1)), background check fee, and have fingerprints taken for a background check.
- Wait for a response to the application by mail.