A Vermont bill of sale is a form that reports a transaction in which a seller transfers ownership of their property to a buyer. A bill of sale specifies the transaction date, location, and sales price, as well as each party’s name, address, email, and phone number. Depending on the item being sold, a thorough property description may be needed to properly identify the item. For example, a motor vehicle bill of sale must include the vehicle’s year, identification number, make, model, color, and current mileage. In all cases, the participating parties must sign the document to create a legally binding proof of purchase.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – The official bill of sale and odometer disclosure statement provided by the DMV to authenticate the sale of a car, truck, boat, trailer, or other vehicle.
Firearm Bill of Sale – A proof of purchase of a firearm bought by an individual through a private seller. All private sales must be executed by a licensed dealer.
Boat Bill of Sale – A document that must be completed for private boat sales to provide the buyer with proof of purchase.
Generic Bill of Sale – This form can be used to record the sale of any item in the state of Vermont.
- Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles – The DMV branch locations in Vermont; drivers must schedule an appointment prior to arrival.
- Town Clerks – Certain motor vehicle transactions can be conducted at participating clerks’ offices.
- Vermont Registration/Tax/Title Application – Completed by the buyer and later filed with the DMV upon registration.
- Registration Renewal – Information about the registration renewal process.
- Registration Fees – The DMV’s registration fees; rates vary based on the vehicle’s class and fuel type.
- Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles – The address, phone number, and approximate wait times for each Vermont DMV office; visits are by appointment only.
- Application for Motorboat Registration – Completed by boat owners and filed with the DMV for watercraft registration.
- Registration Fee – A summary of the motorboat registration fees in Vermont.