Texas Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form VTR-271)

Texas Motor Vehicle Power of Attorney (Form VTR-271)

Last updated October 29th, 2021

  1. Home »
  2. Power of Attorney »
  3. Texas »
  4. Motor Vehicle

The Texas motor vehicle power of attorney (Form VTR-271) is used to appoint a representative, the “grantee,” and give them full authority to control another person’s motor vehicle transactions. With their powers of attorney, the grantee can perform any action relating to the purchase, sale, and assignment of a vehicle title on behalf of an owner.

Any power of attorney that’s used to apply for initial vehicle registration, title, or certified copy of a title must be accompanied by a copy of a government-issued photo identification document, such as a Texas driver’s license or U.S. passport. Car dealerships should note that they cannot use this form to assign a title for a vehicle requiring a federal odometer disclosure. Instead, they must use a secure power of attorney, which can only be obtained from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.

Signing Requirements – Vehicle Owner