An Idaho boat bill of sale allows a private seller and a buyer to record the purchase and sale of a water vessel. This document contains all the necessary information on the boat being sold, including the price, the make, the model, the year, the length, and the hull identification number. The seller and buyer will enter their personal information, such as name, address, and phone number, onto the bill of sale. The parties should sign the bill of sale to authenticate the transaction. The selling price will allow the tax collector to calculate how much sales tax the buyer will owe when they title and register the boat.
Idaho Boat Registration
All boats must be registered with the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR). The DPR now handles all registrations through their online portal. If a vessel has been registered within the last three (3) years, the boat owner can locate their record even if they have not created an account. New registrants will have to create an account by completing the following steps:
- Go to the online boat registration portal and click “Purchase” next to Boat Registration. Boat owners will have to provide their name, driver’s license or ID number, phone number, and address, and creating login credentials (email address and unique password).
- Once the account has been created, the owner must provide the following boat information:
- Type of boat
- Type of use
- Engine drive
- Propulsion type
- Fuel Type
- Max horsepower
- Primary and secondary use areas
- Co-owner details (if applicable)
- The owner will be able to add this boat registration to their online shopping cart attached to their account and pay the necessary registration fees.