An Oklahoma firearm bill of sale is a form used to convey the legal sale and purchase of one (1) or more firearms between the seller and a buyer. This proof of purchase includes all necessary information regarding the firearm, the parties involved in the transaction, and the method by which the firearm was acquired (a monetary transaction or a trade). The bill of sale includes disclosures made by the buyer and the seller stating that both parties are legally allowed to take part in such a transaction. Oklahoma law does not require owners of firearms to have a license for selling or carrying firearms, and a bill of sale isn’t a legal requirement either. However, the parties may wish to maintain the firearms bill of sale for their records.
- Firearm laws – Title 21, Chapters 1289.1 – 1289.30
- Background check required? No.
- Permit required to purchase? No.
Concealed Carry Laws
In 2019, Oklahoma made it legal for a person to carry a concealed firearm in public (in addition to open carry) without a license as long as the individual is at least twenty-one (21) years of age and has not been convicted of a felony. However, owners of firearms can still apply for a license with the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation. The benefit of obtaining a firearm license is that many other states recognize the Oklahoma firearm permit (see “Reciprocity” section on OSBI website), therefore allowing a person to carry open or concealed firearms outside their state. The following steps must be completed in order to obtain an Oklahoma firearm permit:
- Complete required firearms safety and training class. (Or provide firearms training certificate and a signed exemption certificate from a certified gun safety instructor.)
- Complete the Application for Self-Defense Act License or use the online application system.
- Obtain two (2) color passport-style photos.
- Bring the application form (or summary sheet if application was completed online) and photos to the county sheriff’s office.
- Pay the required application fees ($100 for 5-year license, $200 for 10-year license).