A South Carolina bill of sale is a proof of ownership document for personal property that was sold or traded from a seller to a buyer. It consists of the parties’ full names and addresses, their contact information, a description of the item, the dollar amount, and the date and location of the sale. If purchasing a used vehicle from a private seller, the certificate of title must convey the vehicle’s sales price and odometer reading. If it doesn’t, a bill of sale will be needed upon registration with the South Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles. Regardless of the type of item purchased, the parties must indicate their consent to the transfer of ownership by signing the document where applicable.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – A receipt for the purchase of a vehicle with signatures of both the buyer and seller to prove the authenticity of the transaction.
Firearm Bill of Sale – A document stating the legal sale of a firearm occurred between a seller and a buyer.
Boat Bill of Sale – A signed receipt that documents the sale of a vessel from a private seller to a buyer.
Generic Bill of Sale – A receipt for the purchase of any type of personal property.
- South Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles – The agency that manages vehicle registration, titling, and licensing in South Carolina.
- Vehicle Fees – A summary of the fees for vehicle registration and other related transactions.
- DMV Locations – A map of the South Carolina DMV branches, including the corresponding wait times for each location.
- Title Application – Must be completed if registering a vehicle for the first time.
- Statement of Vehicle Operation in South Carolina – Required for individuals who do not have a South Carolina driver’s license or identification card.
- South Carolina Law Enforcement Division – The government agency that issues concealed weapons permits.
- IdentoGO – This web portal can be used to file for a concealed weapons permit online.
- South Carolina Concealed Weapon Permit Application – The paper application that may be used to apply for a concealed weapons permit by mail or in-person.
- Handgun Training Instructors – Concealed permit applicants must complete a training program provided by one (1) of the instructors listed here.
- South Carolina Department of Natural Resources – Boat registration and titling is handled by this government agency.
- Title and Registration Information – An explanation of the laws regarding boat registration, titling, and property tax.
- Casual Excise Tax – The tax due upon the issuance of a title or proof of ownership for both boats and outboard motors.
- Taxpayer Service Center – A list of the locations where boat owners can pay the casual excise tax.
- Watercraft/Outboard Motor Application – Completed when registering and titling watercraft in the state (must contain the seller’s notarized signature).
- Boating Fees – The fees associated with registration and titling of watercraft.