A South Carolina firearm bill of sale records a transaction of a firearms sale between two (2) parties. This document includes all pertinent information on the firearm and the parties involved in the transaction. The make, model, action, caliber/gauge, and the serial number of the firearm will be detailed on the form by the seller. The cost of the firearm will also be included, or, if the seller is willing to trade for the firearm, a list of the items exchanged for the firearm. Both the seller and the buyer must read over the disclosures stated in the bill of sale and sign the document if the declarations are true. A bill of sale is not legally required when completing the transfer of a private firearm.
- Firearm laws – Title 23, Chapter 31
- Background check required? No.
- Permit required to purchase? No.
Concealed Carry Laws
Statute – Title 21, Chapter 31, Article 4
South Carolinians can legally carry a concealed weapon if they have a valid South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP). Permit holders must be twenty-one (21) years of age or older and must have passed a firearms training course. South Carolina is a “shall-issue” state; if the individual applying for the CWP has filed the application properly, passed all background checks, and is not prohibited by law to carry a concealed weapon, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) must issue them a permit. Applicants can use the new online registration system to apply for a CWP at IdentoGO; otherwise, they can use the standard mail-in option with help from the following guide:
- Complete the South Carolina Concealed Weapon Permit Application (Form R-078).
- Attach two (2) completed and signed fingerprint cards to the application form.
- Gather necessary documentation, including copies of a valid driver’s license or ID card, proof of residence, proof of actual or corrected vision (only if driver’s license isn’t attached), and proof of training (copy of a certificate of completion of a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by law enforcement or a nationally recognized organization).
- Attach $50 application fee by money order or cashiers’ check.
- Mail application and all required documentation to the following address:
South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED)
Attention CWP Renewal PO Box 21398
Columbia, SC 29221