1. Home »
  2. Bill of Sale »
  3. Washington »
  4. Boat

Washington Boat Bill of Sale Form

Fill & Sign Fill & Sign Click to fill, edit and sign this form now!
Fill & Sign Fill & Sign Click to fill, edit and sign this form now!

Updated on February 2nd, 2021

A Washington boat bill of sale form is a receipt for the purchase of a boat that was sold privately. The form is supplied by the state Department of Licensing and must be presented when the buyer applies for a vessel title in their name. In addition to providing essential information such as the boat’s purchase price, hull identification number (HIN), and the purchase date, the bill of sale will require the buyer and the seller to provide their contact information and signatures. Once a transaction has been completed, the seller will need to report the sale by completing a Vessel Report of Sale form and mailing or hand-delivering it to a vehicle licensing office.

Washington Boat Registration/Titling

In Washington, boat owners are required to title and register vessels before they can be legally moored and operated. However, the following categories of boats are exempt from this registration requirement:

  • Motorless boats (sailboats, canoes, lifeboats, rowboats, etc.)
  • Boats that are less than sixteen (16) feet in length with a motor of ten (10) horsepower or less
  • Boats with out-of-state registration that are in Washington waters for sixty (60) days or less

If a vessel is purchased in a private transaction, the buyer will need to obtain the boat’s title from the seller with the assignment portion filled out and signed over to the buyer. All vessels requiring titling must be titled within fifteen (15) days of the purchase date or late fees will be applied. Once the new owner has registered the boat, they must keep their registration card onboard and properly fix registration decals or paint their registration number on the boat’s exterior.

To apply for registration and titling after purchasing a second-hand boat, individuals will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Go to the Department of Licensing.
  2. Submit the following documents:
  3. Pay use tax or present proof that taxes have been paid.
  4. Pay registration and titling fees.