Updated on March 29th, 2022
A Washington bill of sale is a document that provides confirmation that a buyer purchased someone else’s personal property for an agreed-upon price. It also functions to report the transfer of ownership, evidence of which is required to register/title a newly purchased motor vehicle or boat. The Washington State Department of Licensing has created an official bill of sale forms for such matters, as well as a bill of sale to report the private transfer of firearms. For all other transactions, the parties may use the generic bill of sale document provided below.
Firearm Bill of Sale – A Firearms Transfer Application must be completed for all private sales of firearms. The transfer must take place through a licensed dealer, who will complete the application form.
Boat Bill of Sale – A signed proof of purchase for a vessel that must be presented when the buyer applies for a boat title in their name.
Generic Bill of Sale – This general bill of sale can be used for all transactions other than firearm, vehicle, and vessel transfers.
Download: PDF, Word (.docx), OpenDocument
- Vehicle Title Application – Completed by vehicle owners to register and title their vehicle in Washington (owner must sign in front of a notary or licensing agent).
- Washington State Vehicle Licensing Office – The offices where individuals can conduct motor vehicle transactions and file their registration/title applications.
- Registration Renewal – Information about the registration renewal process for vehicles titled in Washington.
- Registration Fees – The registration and titling fees for cars, motorcycles, trailers, and all other motor vehicles.
- Law Enforcement Agencies – A directory of the law enforcement agencies in Washington.
- Licensing Fees – A summary of the firearms licensing fees.
- Vessel Title Application – Used by boat owners when applying for a certificate of title and registration (must be signed in front of a notary public or WA licensing agent).
- Department of Licensing – A list of the offices where individuals can file their boat registration and titling paperwork.
- Use Tax – Information about the Washington “Use Tax” and how it can be paid following the purchase of a vessel.
- Registration Fees – A description of the fees associated with boat registration and titling.