A Washington bill of sale is a document providing confirmation that a buyer purchased someone else’s personal property for a designated sales price. It also functions to report the transfer of ownership, evidence of which is required to register/title a newly purchased motor vehicle or boat. The Washington State Department of Licensing has created official bill of sale forms for such matters, as well as a bill of sale to report the private transfer of firearms. For all other transactions, the parties may use the generic bill of sale document displayed below.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – This bill of sale is used when a buyer and a seller have concluded a motor vehicle transaction, whether through a sale or by gift.
Firearm Bill of Sale – A Firearms Transfer Application must be completed for all private sales of firearms. The transfer must take place through a licensed dealer, who will complete the application form.
Boat Bill of Sale – A signed proof of purchase for a vessel that must be presented when the buyer applies for a boat title in their name.
Generic Bill of Sale – This general bill of sale can be used for all transactions other than firearm, vehicle, and vessel transfers.
- Vehicle Title Application – Completed by vehicle owners to register and title their vehicle in Washington (owner must sign in front of a notary or licensing agent).
- Washington State Vehicle Licensing Office – The offices where individuals can conduct motor vehicle transactions and file their registration/title applications.
- Registration Renewal – Information about the registration renewal process for vehicles titled in Washington.
- Registration Fees – The registration and titling fees for cars, motorcycles, trailers, and all other motor vehicles.
- Concealed Pistol License Application (Sample) – Used when applying for a concealed pistol license (sample only; applicants must obtain the document from their local law enforcement agency)
- Law Enforcement Agencies – A directory of the law enforcement agencies in Washington.
- Licensing Fees – A summary of the firearms licensing fees.
- Vessel Title Application – Used by boat owners when applying for a certificate of title and registration (must be signed in front of a notary public or WA licensing agent).
- Department of Licensing – A list of the offices where individuals can file their boat registration and titling paperwork.
- Use Tax – Information about the Washington “Use Tax” and how it can be paid following the purchase of a vessel.
- Registration Fees – A description of the fees associated with boat registration and titling.