Letter of Intent to Marry (within 90 Days)

Letter of Intent to Marry (within 90 Days)

Last updated March 1st, 2023

  1. Home »
  2. Letter of Intent (LOI) »
  3. Marry

letter of intent to marry is used in a visa application process by an individual who intends to marry an American citizen upon arrival to the United States. The document must state the name of the foreign party (beneficiary), the U.S. citizen they intend to marry (petitioner), and their intention to marry within 90 days of the beneficiary’s entry into the United States. Additionally, the letter should also note that the petitioner is a U.S. citizen and be signed by both parties.


When (and How) to Use

When a U.S. citizen wishes to bring their foreign fiancé(e) to the United States, they must apply for a K-1 non-immigrant visa (a.k.a, the fiancé visa). One requirement of this visa is that the two parties marry within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the country.

As part of the application process, the letter of intent to marry must be filed with Form I-129F: Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). The letter is essentially a promise to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that a U.S. citizen and their betrothed will marry within 90 days of their granted entry as a K-1 nonimmigrant. Both the petitioner and the beneficiary should complete a individual letters stating their intention.

Once completed, the letter should be attached to Form I-129F and mentioned in Part 8: Additional Information.

What to Include

The USCIS will expect the following information in the letter:

  • Party Information: The person writing the letter should include their full name and address.
  • Signatures: The petitioner and beneficiary should sign and date their own letter.
  • Statements: The document should state that the two parties are willing and legally able to marry each other and will do so within 90 days after the petitioner arrives in the United States.
  • USCIS Information: The mailing address of the USCIS should be included in the letter. Note that there are two possible addresses.

Where to File

In accordance with the USCIS guidelines, Form I-129F may be sent to one of the following addresses:

Express (UPS, DHL, FedEx):
Attn: I-129F (Box 660151)
2501 South State Highway 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067-8003

Standard Mail (USPS):
Attn: I-129F
P.O. Box 660151
Dallas, TX 75266-0151


Download: PDF, Word (.docx), OpenDocument



Date: [MM/DD/YYYY]



To whom it may concern,

I, [PETITIONER NAME], am a U.S. citizen and the fiancé(e) and petitioner of [BENEFICIARY NAME]. I hereby state that I am willing and legally able to marry [BENEFICIARY NAME] within 90 days of their arrival to the United States using the K-1 visa.

Thank you for your time and consideration.



Beneficiary Letter

Beneficiary Letter of Intent to Marry – Beneficiary’s should fill out this form and file it along with Form I-129F.

Download: PDF, Word (.docx), OpenDocument