How to Register (4 steps)
2. Gather Documents
- Insurance – Proof of auto insurance policy with minimum coverage limits of:
- $25,000 for one person sustaining bodily injury or death in an accident,
- $50,000 for two or more persons sustaining bodily injury or death in an accident, and
- $15,000 for damage to others’ property.
- Photo ID – A driver’s license or other government-issued identification.
- Bill of Sale;
- Vehicle Title;
- Title and Registration Application (Form 96-0236);
- Emissions compliance document (if applicable); and
- Lien Release (Form 48-9901) (if applicable).
3. Calculate the Registration Fee
Vehicle registration fees are calculated as follows:
- $1.50 air quality research fee;
- $4 title fee;
- $8 registration fee; and
- The vehicle license tax (VLT) which is based on 60% of the manufacturer’s base retail price which is reduced by 16.25% each year the vehicle is first registered. Afterward, a fee of $2.80 per $100 of the assessed base value is applied to new vehicles and $2.89 to used vehicles.