An Indiana bill of sale details the sale of an item that was purchased from a private, unlicensed seller. The completed document will include the purchase price, transaction date, a description of the item, and the parties’ contact information and signatures. If the item being sold is a motor vehicle or boat, the vehicle’s identification number, year, make, and model will also need to be provided. Executing a bill of sale protects the buyer and the seller from liability regarding the item’s ownership and purchase. Furthermore, the document is accepted as proof of ownership for the registration and titling of used vessels in the buyer’s name.
Firearm Bill of Sale – Used to document a transaction between a buyer of a firearm and an unlicensed, private seller.
Boat Bill of Sale – Records a watercraft transaction between a private seller and a buyer, including the date of the sale, the sale price, and the signatures of the parties.
Generic Bill of Sale – A general proof of purchase that can be used for selling any type of item that doesn’t require special registration (e.g., clothing, furniture, electronics, kitchenware, antiques, and collectibles).
- Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) – Responsible for all motor vehicle registration and titling in the state.
- BMV Locations – A map of BMV branch office locations.
- Form 205 – The application for a new vehicle title
- Form 43230 – Records a vehicle’s odometer reading prior to registration.
- BMV Online – An online service for registration/titling.
- Fee Schedule – A list of vehicle registration and titling fees.
- Indiana State Police (ISP) – Handgun licenses are obtained through the ISP.
- Apply for a New License to Carry a Handgun (LCH) – Includes a link to fill out an LCH application online.
- Fingerprinting Services – Individuals must have their fingerprints taken prior to obtaining an LCH.
- ISP Locations – A map of ISP locations where LCH applications may be accepted.
- Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) – The BMV handles the boat registration in the state.
- BMV Locations – A list of locations where boats can be registered.
- Application for Certificate of Watercraft Title – Must be completed and submitted to apply for a boat title.
- Fee Schedule – A list of relevant fees and taxes associated with boat registration.