A Mississippi boat bill of sale is a document that’s used for transferring boat ownership of both motorized and non-motorized vessels. The form may be completed by either the buyer or seller so long as it contains their signatures and properly outlines the terms of the transaction. In the bill, the parties must state their names, addresses, the date, and provide a description of the boat being transferred. If a trailer or outboard motor is included in the purchase, the form should list the items separately and identify their unique serial/identification numbers. Vessels purchased privately will require the submission of a bill of sale upon registration, and the bill must be notarized or signed by two (2) witnesses.
Mississippi Boat Registration
After purchasing a motorboat from a private seller, the new owner will need to register the watercraft with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP). Applicants will need to carry out the following steps:
- Complete a Mississippi Motor Boat Registration Application and attach the following:
- Notarized or witnessed bill of sale;
- Proof of previous registration;
- Title(s) for the boat and motor (if titled);
- Payment for the registration fee (amount depends on the boat’s length).
- File the application and attachments with the MDWFP Headquarters (address below). After the application has been processed, a registration card and two (2) decals will be issued to the owner.
MDWFP Boat Registration
1505 Eastover Dr.
Jackson MS 39211