A Rhode Island bill of sale is a form that records a transaction in which ownership of personal property is transferred from a seller to a buyer. A bill of sale specifies the financial terms and date of a particular purchase while also conveying important details about the parties and the item that was sold. If selling a vehicle, the document must include the vehicle’s mileage, identification number (VIN), and manufacturing information. Regardless of the type of property sold, the bill of sale must be signed by the buyer and seller to be considered valid.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – A type of receipt furnished to a buyer of a motor vehicle from the seller. Once signed by each party, the bill of sale can be used to complete the title transfer and vehicle registration.
Firearm Bill of Sale – Documents a legal firearm transaction between a seller and a buyer (can be used for private or licensed sales).
Boat Bill of Sale – A proof of purchase that is used to record private boat sales.
Generic Bill of Sale – A document that reports the purchase of personal property in a private transaction.
- Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles – The agency that handles licensing, registration, titling, and other vehicle-related transactions in Rhode Island.
- Sales Tax Form – Used to determine the amount of sales tax due after purchasing a used vehicle from a private seller.
- Application for Registration and Title Certificate – Completed by vehicle owners and submitted to the Rhode Island Division of Motor Vehicles when applying for registration and a certificate of title.
- DMV Locations – The offices where individuals can file for registration, title a vehicle, and obtain a driver’s license or ID.
- Fee Schedule – A summary of the registration and titling fees in Rhode Island.
- Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon – Completed by individuals when applying for a license to carry a concealed weapon (must be notarized).
- Rhode Island Police Departments – A list of the police department locations in Rhode Island.
- Department of Environmental Management (DEM) – The DEM homepage contains resources for boat registration, titling, and licensing.
- Boat Registration Application – Boat owners must file this document when registering a vessel in Rhode Island.
- Application for Initial Vessel Certificate of Title – This form is used by boat owners to apply for an initial certificate of title.
- Registration and Titling Fees – The DEM’s registration and titling fees can be found on this webpage.