A Tennessee firearm bill of sale is a document that acts as a receipt for the purchase and sale of a firearm between a private seller and a buyer. The state of Tennessee does not require buyers to have a permit for purchasing firearms, nor is the seller obligated to perform a background check. A bill of sale is mostly used to keep a record of the transaction for tax purposes or in case they need to prove the sale occurred. This form must be completed by both parties, including their names and addresses, the make, model, gauge, and serial number of the firearm, and the purchase price. The seller and buyer must read the disclosure sections of the document before signing.
- Firearm laws – Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13
- Background check required? No.
- Permit required to purchase? No.
Concealed Carry Laws
Statute – § 13-17-1366
Tennessee residents who are not prohibited from possessing a firearm (pursuant to § 13-17-1307(b) and any applicable federal laws) may apply for a Concealed Handgun Carry Permit (CCP) as long as they are twenty-one (21) years of age or older. Tennessee is a shall-issue state, so as long as the applicant is legally allowed to possess a firearm and they meet the application requirements, the state will issue them a permit. As of January 1st, 2020, Tennesseans can now apply for an Enhanced Handgun Carry Permit (EHCP), which allows for open and concealed carry (CCP does not allow open carry). To apply for either type of permit, a resident must complete the following steps:
- Complete the online application on the Department of Safety and Homeland Security website (click the “Handgun Permits” tab, then click “New Resident Handgun Carry Permit”).
- Complete training requirements and obtain certificate of proof. There are a number of training options for both types of permits: EHCP training requirements | CCP training requirements. CCP applicants will also have to complete the Concealed Handgun Carry Proof of Training form.
- Visit a Driver Services Center and provide the following:
- Application fee ($100 for EHCP, $65 for CCP)
- Proof of training (plus CCP Proof of Training form if applying for CCP)
- Proof of citizenship or permanent residency (originals, not copies)
- Social Security Number
- Driver’s license (or two (2) proofs of residency)