Updated on August 9th, 2022
A Minnesota general warranty deed is a real estate conveyance instrument by which the transferor (the “grantor”) provides the receiving party (the “grantee”) with the maximum amount of protection from liability. By executing this document, the grantor guarantees that the property title is free of encumbrances and promises to legally defend the grantee against any claims. A warranty deed is regularly used when a property is purchased (separate from the purchase agreement), and legally transferring the title (ownership) from the seller to the buyer. Once the form has been completed, signed by the grantor, notarized, and filed with the county recorder, the conveyance will be complete.
- Statute: § 507.07
- Formatting: §§ 507.091, 507.092, 507.093
- Signing Requirements (§ 507.24(Subd. 2)(a)): Notary Public
- Where to Record: County Recorder
- Recording Fees (§ 357.18(Subd. 1)(1)): $46
- Electronic Certificate of Real Estate Value: If the conveyed property was sold for over $3,000, this form must be completed and filed with the county recorder.
- Well Disclosure Certificate: Must be filed if there are one or more wells on the property (unless there is no change since the certificate was previously filed).
- Condition of Property (§ 513.55): Property sellers must complete this form to disclose any property damage to potential buyers.
- Methamphetamines (§ 152.0275 Subd. 2 (m)): Buyers must be informed in writing if methamphetamine was produced on the property they are interested in buying.
- Radon (§ 144.498 Subd. 3): Potential buyers must be informed about any radon concentrations, testing, and warned about the possibility of its presence via this disclosure.
- Sewage Treatment System (§ 115.55 Subd. 6): Property buyers must be given this form, completed by the seller, that relays the property’s sewage system.
- Wetlands, Shorelands, and Flood Plain (§ 103F.111 Subd. 4, § 103F.205 Subd. 4, § 103G.005 Subd. 19 (a)): Required if the conveyed property is located near wetlands, shorelands, or flood plains