Connecticut Eviction Notice Templates (3)

Connecticut Eviction Notice Templates (3)

Last updated June 25th, 2023

  1. Home »
  2. Eviction Notice »
  3. Connecticut

A Connecticut eviction notice is a document served by a landlord to a tenant informing them that they must vacate their rental property or risk being evicted. In some circumstances, the notice serves as a warning, and the tenant is given the opportunity to remedy a violation they have caused and continue renting the property. Certain violations are incurable, such as non-payment of rent or illegal activities. In this case, the tenant is given the notice to quit without the option of correcting the breach. If a tenant fails to comply with the demands of the notice, the landlord can commence an eviction suit against them.

By Type (3)

15-Day Notice | Cure or Quit – Served on a tenant who has violated their lease agreement (other than non-payment of rent or other more serious violations), giving them a 15-day window in which to remedy the breach of contract.

Download: PDF, Word (.docx), OpenDocument


Notice to Terminate | Month-to-Month Lease – Used to notify a tenant that the landlord intends to terminate the lease contract without cause. This notice isn’t required if a fixed end date is written into the agreement or if the parties mutually agree to cancel the arrangement.

Download: PDF, Word (.docx), OpenDocument



Eviction Laws + Required Notices

  • Grace Period (§ 47a-15a): Nine (9) or Four (4) Days
  • Non-Payment of Rent (§ 47a-23(a)): Three (3) Days
  • Incurable Non-Compliance (§ 47a-23(a)): Three (3) Days
  • Curable Non-Compliance (§ 47a-15)): Fifteen (15) Days
  • Periodic Tenancy Termination: Not mentioned in state statutes.
  • Illegal Activity (§ 47a-23(a)): Three (3) Days
  • Intentional Damage to the Property (§ 47a-23(a)): Three (3) Days

How to Evict a Tenant in Connecticut

Also known as a summary process, an eviction in Connecticut must be executed properly to ensure a successful outcome for the landlord/property owner. A summary process can take 30-45 days, and in some cases even longer, from filing the suit to attaining judgment.

Step 1 – Download Notice Form

A landlord must have legal cause to evict a tenant. To inform a tenant that they are in violation of their lease, a notice to quit must be delivered to them. If a tenant has violated their lease, committed an illegal act, or failed to pay rent on time, a 3-Day Notice to Quit can be served. This form is used only for incurable violations. Otherwise, a 15-Day Notice to Cure Violation is used in situations where the tenant has committed a material non-compliance. A material non-compliance violation can be remedied by the tenant in order to preserve the rental agreement. If a tenant refuses to vacate the property or cure the violation within the provided notice period, the landlord may proceed with a summary process. All notices must be formally served; this can be accomplished by contacting the State Marshal (they will charge between $35 – $45 for service).

Step 2 – Complete Summons and Complaint

The landlord can proceed to the next stage of the process if the tenant fails to vacate the property within the notice period. A Summons (Form JD-HM-32) must be completed along with the appropriate complaint form – Complaint – Nonpayment of Rent (Form JD-HM-8) or Complaint Termination of Lease by Lapse of Time (Form JD-HM-20). These two forms and the original Notice to Quit must be presented to the court clerk at the superior court in the county in which the property is located. Copies should be made – enough for the landlord, the tenant(s), and the clerk. The clerk will sign the Summons and set a return date, which will give the tenant sufficient time to answer the complaint.

Step 3 – Serve Summons and Complaint

The tenants must be served copies of all the forms mentioned above. The state marshal can be used to serve these forms for a fee of $45 – $60. The marshal will bring the originals with them as well so they can complete a proof of service. Once the originals are returned to the landlord, they can be filed with the court. A fee of $175 will be charged to the landlord for filing a Summons and Complaint. This must be done at least four (4) days before the return date on the Summons.

Step 4 – Appearance and Answer

It is the tenant’s duty to respond to the Summons and Complaint by completing an Appearance (Form JD-CL-12) and a Summary Process Answer to Complaint (Form JD-HM-5). These forms show the landlord and the court that the tenant disagrees with the grounds for eviction and has chosen to appear before the court to argue their case. The Answer form contains a section for “Special Defenses” that enables the tenant to contest specific claims made by the landlord.* Both forms are to be filed with the court clerk and a copy of the Answer form must be sent to the landlord. The tenant must file these forms is no later than two (2) days after the return date recorded on the Summons.

*If this section is completed by the tenant, the landlord is required to file a Reply to Special Defenses (Form JD-HM-16) before a trial takes place.

Step 5 – Default Judgment (If Applicable)

Should the tenant fail to file an Appearance in a timely manner, the landlord may file a Motion for Default for Failure to Appear and Judgment for Possession (Form JD-HM-9). If the tenant has filed an Appearance but not an Answer form, a Motion for Judgment for Possession for Failure to Plead (Form JD-HM-10) can be completed and filed with the court. The tenant is given an additional three (3) days (after the Motion has been served) to respond to the landlord’s Complaint or a judge will enter a Default Judgment without a hearing (See Step 7).

Step 6 – Trial

If an Answer and Appearance have been filed by the tenant, a trial date will be set and the case will be heard by a judge. Before the judge reviews the case, a Housing Mediator will be assigned to the case to provide the landlord and tenant the opportunity to agree upon a fair settlement. Upon reaching an agreement, the judge will review the settlement and a Motion for Judgment by Stipulation (Form JD-HM-13) will be filed. If no settlement can be reached by the parties with the mediator, the judge will hear the case and make their decision based on the evidence presented by the landlord and tenant.

Step 7 – Judgment

If the judge rules in favor of the landlord, either by trial or default judgment, the tenant has five (5) days to remove themselves from the property. However, the tenant is able to apply for a longer period of occupancy by filing a Stay of Execution Application (Form JD-HM-21). For a judge to approve the Application, the eviction suit filed against the tenant cannot have been for a nuisance or illegal activity. Furthermore, any overdue rent or related fees due to the landlord must be deposited with the court clerk before the five (5) day period has expired and before the Application is filed. The court may award the tenant an additional three (3) months’ possession if the eviction suit was for non-payment of rent, or an additional six (6) months’ possession if the suit pertained to the lease term ending and the tenant continued to occupy the premises.

Step 8 – Execution

Failure by the tenant to vacate the premises after the five (5) day period has expired, and a Stay of Execution Application was not filed, the landlord may file a Summary Process Execution (Form JD-HM-2) with the court. (If a tenant has failed to adhere to a stipulated judgment for payment, an Affidavit of Non-Compliance (Form JD-HM-22) must be filed along with the Execution Form.) The Execution will be signed by the court clerk and returned to the landlord so they may have a state marshal or other process server deliver it (and the Affidavit, if applicable) to the tenant. The tenant must vacate the premises within twenty-four (24) hours of delivery or they will be physically removed from the property by a marshal.

Note: The tenant is able to file an Affidavit and Objection to Execution (Form JD-HM-26) to request another hearing before a judge once an Affidavit and Execution have been filed by the landlord. 

Court Forms + Resources