Updated on April 10th, 2023
A bed bug lease addendum is a form attached to a lease agreement to disclose the bed bug policy and history. The addendum verifies that the landlord examined the rental unit and discovered no signs of infestation. It outlines proactive measures to prevent bed bugs and explains what to do if an infestation takes place, including who will be responsible for the extermination and cleaning costs.
Bed Bug Laws & Required Disclosures
Some states have rules on how bed bugs should be handled; landlords should check state and local laws to review their obligations (State Bed Bug Laws). Additionally, landlords in Arizona, California, Chicago, Maine, and New York City must provide tenants with bed bug disclosures.
Disclosures: Arizona, California, Chicago, Maine, New York City
Download: PDF, Word (.docx), OpenDocument
BED BUG LEASE ADDENDUM
1. THE PARTIES. This Lease Addendum (“Addendum”), made effective as of [MM/DD/YYYY], is by and between:
Landlord: [LANDLORD NAME] (“Landlord”) and
Tenant: [TENANT NAME] (“Tenant”).
The Landlord and Tenant are each referred to herein as a “Party” and, collectively, as the “Parties.”
2. ORIGINAL LEASE. This Addendum is being added to the lease agreement between the Parties, dated on [MM/DD/YYYY] (“Original Lease”), for the property located at [RENTAL PROPERTY ADDRESS] (“Property”).
3. INFESTATION HISTORY. The history of bed bug infestations in the Property is as follows: [DESCRIBE PREVIOUS INFESTATIONS (IF ANY)].
4. REPRESENTATIONS. The Parties acknowledge that the Landlord inspected the Property and did not observe any evidence indicating the presence of bed bugs. The Tenant acknowledges they are unaware of any evidence indicating the presence of bed bugs in their personal property.
5. NOTICE. The Tenant agrees to immediately provide notice to the Landlord if they discover any signs of bed bugs in the Property or on any personal property contained therein.
6. TREATMENT. (1) If the presence of bed bugs in the Property is confirmed, the Tenant must allow the Landlord or the Landlord’s agents access to the Property at reasonable times and comply and cooperate with all instructions from the Landlord, the Landlord’s agents, and any licensed pest control professionals to clean and treat the Property.
(2) The Landlord shall bear responsibility and pay all reasonable costs in connection with the inspection, cleaning, and treatment of the Property as a result of the presence of bed bugs in the Property, except if: [LIST CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE TENANT WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR TREATMENT].
7. LIABILITY. Unless caused by the Landlord, the Landlord shall not be responsible to the Tenant, an occupant, the Tenant’s family members, or a guest or invitee of the Tenant for any damages, injuries, or losses to person or property as a result of an infestation of bed bugs.
8. EXECUTION. This Addendum may be executed in counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original, but all of which together shall constitute one and the same instrument.
Landlord Signature: ___________________ Date: [MM/DD/YYYY]
Print Name: [LANDLORD NAME]
Tenant Signature: ___________________ Date: [MM/DD/YYYY]
Print Name: [TENANT NAME]