Updated on July 24th, 2023
A lease addendum is an attachment that modifies or provides supplemental information to a lease agreement. It is a separate document that clarifies, expands, or changes specific sections of a lease. Disclosures are often added in the form of an addendum to provide information imposed by local or state laws.
- Adding a Tenant
- Bed Bug
- Commercial Lease
- Crime & Drug
- Improvements & Modifications
- Lead-Based Paint
- Renters Insurance
- Month-to-Month Lease
- Move-in Inspection
- Pool & Hot Tub
- Smoke Detector
1. THE PARTIES. This Lease Addendum (“Addendum”), made effective as of [MM/DD/YYYY], is by and between:
Landlord: [LANDLORD’S NAME] (“Landlord”) and
Tenant: [TENANT’S NAME] (“Tenant”).
The Landlord and Tenant are each referred to herein as a “Party” and, collectively, as the “Parties.”
2. ORIGINAL LEASE. This Addendum is being added to the lease agreement between the Parties, dated [MM/DD/YYYY], for the property located at [RENTAL PROPERTY ADDRESS] (“Original Lease”).
3. ADDITIONAL TERMS. The following terms and conditions shall be added to the Original Lease: [PROVIDE ADDITIONAL TERMS].
Except as specifically mentioned in this Addendum, all other terms and conditions of the Original Lease shall remain in full force and effect.
4. EXECUTION. This Addendum may be executed in counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original, but all of which together shall constitute one and the same instrument.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Parties have executed this Addendum as of the date first written above.
Landlord’s Signature: ___________________ Date: [MM/DD/YYYY]
Print Name: [LANDLORD’S NAME]
Tenant’s Signature: ___________________ Date: [MM/DD/YYYY]
Print Name: [TENANT’S NAME]
An addendum generally provides additional information to a lease, while an amendment changes the fundamental terms of a lease (e.g., rent amount, end date, etc.). Amendments are modifications made to the original lease agreement form (with approval by both landlord and tenant) whereas an addendum is a separate document that will be attached to the lease once it has been signed by both parties.
An addendum is added by referencing the original lease. This is accomplished by mentioning the lease date, which is found in the first section of the lease, and the rental property address. Once an addendum is signed by both the landlord and the tenant, it becomes legally binding.