Updated on March 20th, 2023
A lease pet addendum is added to a residential lease agreement to outline the rules for keeping pets on the rented property. The document includes the effective date of the original lease, the rental property address, the added or modified pet rules, and information on the new pet (if applicable).
A pet addendum also makes it clear that the tenant is responsible for the care of their pet and any damages that occur during their occupancy. This addendum is often added at the time the tenant wishes to add a new pet to the lease.
Protected Animals Notice
The landlord is prohibited from charging a fee for an emotional support animal or service dog. However, a tenant is responsible for any damage caused by their pets. If any damage is found on the property, the landlord can deduct the repair costs from the tenant’s security deposit.
By Type (2)
Emotional Support Animal (ESA) or Service Dog – An emotional support animal is permitted by right in a no-pet lease (FHA), and a service animal is allowed by right if the dog “has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability” (ADA).
Download: PDF, Word (.docx), OpenDocument
HUD Pet Addendum – Allows a tenant that is part of a Housing and Urban Development program to have pets in their residence in accordance with federal law (24 CFR § 5.350).
PET ADDENDUM TO LEASE AGREEMENT
1. THE PARTIES. This Pet Addendum to Lease Agreement (“Addendum”), made effective as of [MM/DD/YYYY], is by and between:
Landlord: [LANDLORD’S NAME] (“Landlord”) and
Tenant: [TENANT’S NAME] (“Tenant”).
The Landlord and Tenant are each referred to herein as a “Party” and, collectively, as the “Parties.”
2. ORIGINAL LEASE. This Addendum is being added to the lease agreement between the Parties, dated on [MM/DD/YYYY], for the property located at [RENTAL PROPERTY ADDRESS] (“Original Lease”).
3. PET RULES. The rules regarding pets in the Original Lease are: (check one)
☐ – Not changed.
☐ – Changed to the following: [ENTER NEW PET RULES].
4. ADDING A PET. The Tenant is: (check one)
☐ – Adding the following pet(s):
Pet Description. [DESCRIBE].
Pet Deposit: $[AMOUNT] ☐ Refundable ☐ Non-Refundable
Pet Fee: $[AMOUNT] per month.
☐ – Not adding a new pet.
5. FEDERAL LAWS. Under federal law, the Tenant is entitled to certain rights regarding the possession of a pet.
- Emotional Support Animal (ESA). As permitted under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), the Tenant is allowed to reside with an emotional support animal.
- Service Animals. As permitted under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Tenant is allowed to reside with a service animal.
If permitted by law, the Tenant will be required to provide documentation regarding the right to possession of a pet defined in this section.
6. TENANT’S RESPONSIBILITY. The Tenant shall be solely responsible for the care and supervision of their pets. The Tenant shall ensure that the animal does not disturb other occupants or neighbors. The Tenant agrees to all damages and liabilities caused by their pets.
7. LANDLORD’S INDEMNIFICATION. The Tenant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Landlord and its employees, agents, contractors, associates, or any other person in connection with the Landlord from any loss, liability, or damage arising from the Tenant’s pet or animal they allowed onto the premises.
8. EXECUTION. This Addendum may be executed in counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original, but all of which together shall constitute one and the same instrument.
Landlord’s Signature: ___________________ Date: [MM/DD/YYYY]
Print Name: [LANDLORD’S NAME]
Tenant’s Signature: ___________________ Date: [MM/DD/YYYY]
Print Name: [TENANT’S NAME]