Updated on May 3rd, 2023
An Illinois bill of sale form is used to record the details of a private sale between a buyer and a seller, including the transaction date, purchase price, and a description of the item. Certain transactions necessitate a bill of sale. For instance, the buyer will be required to present a signed bill of sale when applying for titling and registration in their name after purchasing a used motor vehicle. Furthermore, a bill of sale can be used to prove the purchase price when paying sales tax on used motor vehicles and boats. Firearms require a special bill of sale which the seller must keep in their records for a minimum of ten (10) years following the sale. The general bill of sale should be used for the sale of any personal property that doesn’t require registration.
Firearm Bill of Sale – This bill of sale is used when a buyer purchases a firearm from a private seller.
Boat Bill of Sale – A proof of purchase of a water vessel signed by the seller and the buyer.
Generic Bill of Sale – A general bill of sale to be used for the private sale of personal items, equipment, and tools.
- Office of the Illinois Secretary of State (SOS) – All newly purchased motor vehicles must be registered with the SOS.
- Odometer Disclosure – Discloses the odometer reading at the time of sale/registration.
- Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) – An online portal for vehicle registration and titling.
- Facility Finder – Can be used to locate a vehicle registering and titling facility.
- Fee schedule – A list of current registration and titling fees.
- Illinois State Police (ISP) Firearm Services Bureau – Issues concealed carry licenses in Illinois.
- Instructor Search – Can be used to locate ISP-approved firearms instructors.
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) – The department that registers and titles boats in Illinois.
- Watercraft Registration/Title Application – Boat owners must use this online application form to apply for watercraft titling and registration.
- Fee Schedule – Boat titling, registration, and renewal fees.