A Pennsylvania bill of sale is used by a buyer and seller to document the transfer of ownership of a motor vehicle, vessel, gun, or other personal item. The form should be drafted before or upon the exchange of payment and, once complete, signed by each party. The original bill of sale will be kept by the buyer as a record of ownership, and a copy should be retained by the seller to use in the event of legal disputes and for tax purposes. For transactions involving motor vehicles and boats, the transfer of ownership doesn’t officially occur until the certificate of title has been assigned to the new owner. If the vehicle has already been titled in Pennsylvania, the transfer of title must take place in the presence of an authorized PennDOT agent.
Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale – Provides legal proof of purchase of a motor vehicle. It is not legally required to present this document to the DMV while transferring the title, but it is recommended.
Download: PDF, Word (.docx), OpenDocument
Firearm Bill of Sale – A receipt that details the transfer of a firearm from a private seller to a buyer.
Boat Bill of Sale – A document that provides the details of a private boat transaction between a buyer and a seller.
Generic Bill of Sale – This document reports the sale and transfer of personal property between a buyer and seller.
- Department of Transportation – This website contains helpful information about vehicle registration and titling.
- DMV Locations – A list of the locations where drivers can renew their registration and perform other vehicle-related tasks.
- PennDOT Agents – These agents are authorized to provide vehicle services such as registration and transfer of title.
- Fee Schedule – The various vehicle registration and titling fees in Pennsylvania.
- Application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms – An application that must be completed when filing for a license to carry a firearm.
- County Sheriffs’ Offices – The contact information and address of each county sheriff’s office (permit applications should be filed at the applicant’s local office).
- PA Fish and Boat Commission – Useful information about the requirements for boat titling, registration, and registration renewal.
- Application for Pennsylvania Boat Registration and/or Boat Title – This form is submitted to the PA Fish and Boat Commission when applying for a boat title of registration.
- Boat Registration Fees – The fees associated with boat registration in Pennsylvania.
- Regional Commission Office – The locations where boat owners can file their registration and title applications.
- Authorized Issuing Agent – A list of agents providing boat registration services.