A Virginia bill of sale is a type of receipt that details the sale of personal property, such as motor vehicles, boats, firearms, and livestock. It affirms that a seller relinquished ownership rights to a buyer in exchange for payment, trade, or a combination of both. If selling a vehicle that’s more than five (5) years old, a bill of sale must be completed and submitted to the Virginia DMV alongside the required registration paperwork. Likewise, a bill of sale is needed to register an untitled boat in the new owner’s name. In all cases, both parties must sign the document to finalize the sale and validate the transfer of ownership.
Firearm Bill of Sale – A written record of a firearm transfer between a private seller and a buyer.
Boat Bill of Sale – A document that records the private sale of a boat. If the boat doesn’t have a valid title, a bill of sale is required for titling and registration.
Generic Bill of Sale – This generic form can be used to complete a variety of transfers.
- Virginia DMV Locator – A map containing the locations of all Virginia DMV offices. Users can enter their address to find the nearest branch location.
- Application for Title and Registration – Used to register and title a motor vehicle in Virginia. Once complete, it must be filed with the DMV.
- Application for Registration – Required when applying for initial vehicle registration and may also be used to renew an existing registration.
- Registration Renewal – An online portal used by vehicle owners to renew their registration.
- Odometer Disclosure Statement – Used to disclose the mileage of an out-of-state motor vehicle following the transfer of ownership.
- Registration Fees – The registration and titling fees for both commercial and non-commercial motor vehicles.
- Application for Concealed Handgun Permit – Used to apply for a concealed handgun permit (must be filed with the circuit court in which the applicant resides).
- Circuit Courts – Contains the contact information and addresses of all circuit courts in Virginia.
- Department of Wildlife Resources (DWR) – This webpage contains information about boat registration, including the applicable registration and titling fees.
- Application to Register and Title a Boat – Used to register and title a watercraft or renew an existing boat registration.
- DMV Offices – The offices where individuals can submit their registration and titling applications.
- Online Vessel System – This webpage contains an online portal through which boat owners can file for registration and check an application’s status.